Ever have an experience that felt surreal, as though you’d been suddenly transported into the twilight zone, where time seemed to warp, perhaps slowing down or speeding up? Tell us all about it. If you haven’t had an experience in real life that you can draw from, write a fictional account of a surreal experience.
Photographers, artists, poets: show us SURREAL.
I take the camera everywhere. You never know if one day you will have the opportunity of taking THE Photograph. The one that will make you famous, the one that will be be put on the front page of a magazine called “Photographer”. So, OK, I dream on until that day when it happens.
I was actually in the moving car and was snapping away, Mr. Swiss was driving. It was a misty day and what the lens captured was more luck than judgement. I arrived home and downloaded the results on the computer. It was then that a photo appeared with a lamp post. I know lamp posts are not the thing to stay in the viewer’s memory, not exactly Pulitzer prize worthy, but it might be the success of the year, what the Pulitzer people were searching for: a Swiss lamp post in a Swiss field taken with a moving camera.
“Where did you take that photo?” asked my other half.
“On the way home from the shopping trip, just near the monastery.” Our town has a cathedral, and a few monks that live in the monastery.
“But what is that house?”
“What house? There is no house near the monastery, It is just field of green grass.”
“Look again” he said.
And sure enough I saw the faint outlines of a farmhouse. I also did not remember seeing a farm near the monastery. The monks were quite self-sufficient. They had a few cows, some chickens and even planted all sorts of herbs and vegetables, so it certainly was not part of the monastery. I decided to have a closer look. Later that day I took a walk to where the photo originated. The mist had cleared although everything seemed to be covered by a sickly yellow light. The lamppost was now, well just a lamppost. Nothing special and in the background was …. nothing: just an empty space, a large field.
It was then I met a monk walking towards me on the path. He seemed quite ancient, and his walk was slow and careful. He looked at me with his rheumy eyes peeping out of a patchwork skin, flecked with brown stains , and I wondered if he was actually able to let me have some information, although quite frankly he would have played an ideal role in “The Walking Dead”. He greeted with a quavering shaky voice and I answered with a “hello”. He stopped and looked at through me.
“You are searching?” he said
“Yes I am, but how do you know?”
“I know all, you want to know where the farmhouse is.”
“There is no longer a farmhouse here. It burnt down to its four walls many years ago. The devil takes his own eventually.”
“What do you mean?”
“There were demons at work. The farmer knew this and he we warned him, but history repeats itself. His rooster would not crow and his barn was infested with bats. Ask not, just accept. ”
“But I have a photo of the farmhouse on my computer: a white building with a large attached barn.”
The monk gazed in the direction where the farmhouse would have been.
“This photo was taken at midday today?”
“Yes it was. How do you know?”
“Fifty years ago, to this day, the farm was food for the flames. Its existence is nevermore. The farm had to go forever.”
“How do you know, did you see it?”
But the monk was no longer there, the mist had appeared again and there was nothing to see, perhaps just the faint outlines of a farmhouse. I think I read too many horror books, now where did I read the word “nevermore” – a poem by Edgar Allen Poe about a raven?
Of course, when I arrived home I took another look at the photo. What photo? Even my computer decided it did not want to be possessed. All the photos from my morning shooting session were there, but there was no photo showing a lamppost with a farm in the background.
Daily Prompt: The Twilight Zone
Pingbacks in the Twilight
- Karma For a Lapsed Veggie | AS I PLEASE
- Lime Plant in White | Exploratorius
- Daily Prompt: Twilight Zone | Incidents of a Dysfunctional Spraffer
- Daily Prompt: Twilight Zone- The Psychological Fact of Living | Journeyman
- Coffee Neurotics Seem To Find Each Other and The Daily Prompt | The Jittery Goat
- The Twilight Zone | Hope* the happy hugger
- Daily Prompt: Twilight Zone | Under the Monkey Tree
- Wholesale Hot Dogs | the intrinsickness
- Surreal journey: Daily Prompt | ALIEN AURA’S BlOG: IT’LL BLOW YOUR MIND!
- Daily Prompt: Twilight Zone | The Wandering Poet
- Daily Prompt: Twilight Zone | tnkerr-Writing Prompts and Practice
- fandom | yi-ching lin photography
- DP Daily Prompt: Twilight Zone | Sabethville
- IN THE ZONE AND OUT AGAIN | SERENDIPITY
- in concert, there ought | y
- The Truth About Motherhood | theempathyqueen
- Pushing forty, going on sixteen… most of us anyway. | thoughtsofrkh
- Drunkenness Adventures | Knowledge Addiction
- You will meet a tall, dark, handsome stranger- again | Suddenly Single in Marin
- Daily Prompt: Twilight Zone | SURREAL | nomadofwoods
- Lisa’s Kansa Muse
- Twilight Zone meets Logan | It’s a wonderful F’N life
- Daily Prompt: Twilight Zone | A Day In The Life
- One Crazy Mom » Living In A Haze
- The Santa in Derby UK | Le Drake Noir
- For E., With Love and Make-up | Kosher Adobo
- 270. Train Rush | Barely Right of Center
- Twilight Zone | The Silver Leaf Journal
- The Daily Post: Twilight Zone – Revelation | growinolder
- Surreal (Short story) | A mom’s blog
- The Cruelty of Time | snapshotsofawanderingheart
- Chaffinch | Writing and Works
- Daily Prompt: Twilight Zone « Mama Bear Musings
- Episodes of Serenity | My Musings | WANGSGARD
- Daily Prompt/ Twilight Zone? | Sitting on the Porch
- Get Transported. How? Finding Awe | Emotional Fitness
- DP: Surreal | As I See It
- Twilight Moments (Daily Prompt Challenge) | Ana Linden
- In the Nick of Time. | jwdwrites
- Daily Prompt: Twilight Zone | Indira’s Blog
- Time Warp | Views Splash!
- The Quickest Way To The Twilight Zone Is By Bus… | Steve Says…
- This is Not a Pipe | jigokucho
- The Twilight Zone | melissuhhsmiles
- Secret Jellyfish World | Wright Outta Nowhere
- Moving back home will make anyone feel as if they’ve entered a 1950′s pod people movie. | The Bohemian Rock Star’s “Untitled Project”
- Delirium | Life is great
- Silence in the Metro | MC’s Whispers
- There Is No Time/Daily Prompt | I’m a Writer, Yes I Am
- Magnetic Me | Green Embers
- Mother’s Room | Flowers and Breezes
- DP: Confusion / Surreal – Morning Prayer at Mina (Hajj diary extract) | aliabbasali
- Daily Prompt: Twilight Zone | Basically Beyond Basic
- Miss Mona’s Final Day
- Surreal | Real Life Co.
- Daily Prompt: Being Trippy! | All Things Cute and Beautiful
- When Facts & Imagination Converge… | AShadeOfJade
- http://dailypost.wordpress.com/2014/02/28/daily-prompt-twilight-zone/ | Menimèse Creare
- The Psychology of Scooby Doo Friends in the Workplace: Piety, Problem-solving and Paranoia « psychologistmimi
- One girl two cups | EatYour HeartOut
- Death, sex, surrealism | Standing Ovation, Seated
- Twilight Zone | Lori’s Life and Other Stuff
- Remembrance of Things Past | djgarcia94
- The Daily Prompt: Twilight Zone – Somewhere I Shouldn’t Be | wordistryinc’s Blog
- improbably negative. | The Seminary of Praying Mantis
- Losing Faith: So hard to breathe. | anonim0us
- Dreaded Vis-à-vis | field of thorns
- Like Deja Vu | Sam’s Online Journal
- We Need to Tallk | The Zombies Ate My Brains
- Awe inspiring | Parents Are People Too
- Out of body, out of mind | SusannaAntihero
- The Great Migration | Oh Danny Boy!
- Daily Prompt: Surreal Musical Theater School | Cabernet In The Dark
- Daily Prompt: Twilight Zone | Jottings and Writings
- back to st. gabriel’s | eastelmhurst.a.go.go
- Arizona’s Still Bleeding: Pearl Harbor | Jaspa’s Journal
- Al Wahba Crater Escapade (Part 1) | THE MARRIED MAN WHO LOVES HIS X
- In a roundabout way | Trucker Turning Write
- The Bus Driver | The Book of Shayne
- I’m entering the Twilight Zone | browney237’s Blog
- The gap between | The writer in me
- Slipstream | Edward Hotspur
- Daily Prompt: Twilight Zone | Yowza, Here We Go!
- SURREAL: Nothing is Impossible With GOD | The Christian Gazette
- Close Encounters of the Redneck Kind | The Shotgun Girls
- Daily Prompt:The Twilight Zone | Down the Rabbit Hole | chelseaofbakerstreet
- The Camino Plan | Imagining The Road To Roncesvalles
- Daily Prompt: Twilight Zone / Everyday Surreal | @ The West Gate
- Telepathic Coffee Spill | Overcoming Bloglessness
- Breathing, Finally | Wanderlein
- Haiku: Beware Of Anger… | Mirth and Motivation
- Surreal: Daily Post | Destino
- Daily Prompt: Twilight Zone or Matrix Wannabe | brent’s iPhone & japan
- Sometimes I live in the Twilight Zone | Willow’s Corner
- Let’s Do the Time Warp Again! | My Author-itis
- Daily Prompt: Twilight Zone | Nola Roots, Texas Heart