Click over to whatever website you visit most frequently to get news. Find the third headline on the page. Make sure that headline is in your post.
Photographers, artists, poets: show us a CURRENT EVENT.
I decided to spice up this report and have included some of my own comments in italic print.
Der Solothurner Domchor blickt auf ein erfolgreiches Jahr zurück – tranlsation is The Solothurn Cathedral Choir reflects on a successful Year.
We have a cathedral in Solothurn, the town being the seat of the Bishop of Basel who presides over Solothurn. Probably he found it a nicer place to have his house as in Basel which is a border town and having a lot of traffic. I am not in the catholic club, but the Kanton (State) of Solothurn is, very much so. Mr. Swiss is Swiss Reform Church.
So according to the rules of the daily challenge I visited the Solothurner Zeitung (our local newspaper) and chose the third headline and this was the result. I did not even realise that our local cathedral had a choir, although I knew that it had a boy’s choir, my youngest offspring singing with them until his voice broke. At least he discovered a few good Bach songs and toured a few places with the choir. He even saw Pope John Paul in Rome travelling around on his Papamobile as we call it.
The report begins: “Our cathedral choir had a successful year, big deal. So I decided to read further (please note I am doing a rough translation from the original German text).
The effort to bind different generations, regions and musical styles to a complete work was completed – did they turn a Bach Oratorio into a “Jesus Christ Superstar” similar event? I do not remember this happening. A further highlight was saying goodbye to town priest X and the inauguration of the new Priest administrator Y. I hope that mobbing was not practiced to accomplish this. Who knows, perhaps they were glad to see the back of him, his sermons being boring and sending the onlookers to sleep.
The music programme for 2014 is manifold. Last Easter we succeeded in presenting the B Minor Mass by Franz Schubert and the Halleluja from G.F.Händel and at Whitsun the festival service for the confirmations was surrounded by contemporary anglo saxon songs. Probably singing Greensleeves in German – Grüne Aermal – no I do not think so.
A higher weight was laid on the choral songs. The roots of these songs go back to the seventh century and find today more significance and increasing appreciation.
With a singalong (my own translation, but with the same meaning I think) project the cathedral choir gives the opportunity to singers to get nearer to this impressive spiritual music (not really my sort of thing). To finalise the cathedral choir year we managed to sing the “Missa Pastoralis” at Christmas from Casimir Meister (one of our local composers it seems that wrote a few hit songs during the 19th-20th century. They were quite popular in the church hit parade of the time). This word had a very special connection to the cathedral choir as Casimir Meister was himself in the 1920’s band master (honest, that was the translation I found) and he composed this Mass in 1927 for the 50th birthday of the cathedral choir.
The cathedral choir will be presenting more concerts and performances this year.
The statutes showed no surprises. Everyone stays where they are. We have a new treasurer (did the last one disappear with the money?).
The canon has now been appointed an honorary member.
So that’s it. As you can see we are surrounded by exciting and news breaking moments in our local town.
- A Different Sort of Hunger Games | Do Not Get Sick in the Sink, Please
- This is News??? | Active Army Wife
- Blind Leading The Blind | The Jittery Goat
- Daily Prompt: Ripped from the Headlines | Basically Beyond Basic
- The endless quest to be cheerful… | Kate Murray
- Religion and spirituality: a controversial piece! | alienorajt
- Ripped from the Headlines | Geek Ergo Sum
- The Paper | My Little Avalon
- Golden Globes: American Hustle wins three awards | Sue’s Trifles
- Daily Prompt: A Quick Trip to Uganda | Under the Monkey Tree
- Taking a Bite Out of the Onion, And Lovin’ It! | Eyes Through The Glass – A Blog About Asperger’s
- DP Daily Prompt: Ripped from the headlines | Sabethville
- Daily Prompt: Ripped from the Headlines | Thoughts of an INFP
- Oh dear – it isn’t easy getting old gracefully | littlegirlstory
- Daily Prompt: Ripped from the Headlines | tnkerr-Writing Prompts and Practice
- Race Hate: a crime the police will not solve | Let me tell U a story
- News? Not so much. | Unlocking The Inner Creative
- My Commitment to Public Education – Learn More
- RIPPED FROM THE HEADLINES! I CAN DREAM. | SERENDIPITY
- his country’s shame | charlottesville winter
- 5 Tidbits of Wisdom for Every Teenager | THE OVERCOMING
- Alaska Summer Dusk | The Land Slide Photography
- DAILY PROMPT: CURRENT EVENT | DANDELION’S DEN
- gasp | peacefulblessedstar
- The Daily Prompt: CURRENT EVENTS. | Joseph is on fire.
- Wreck of Costa Concordia | Flowers and Breezes
- Imaginary Dinner With Bill Murray |
- headlining into the past | sarahscapes
- Staying up late | A mom’s blog
- Daily Prompt: Ripped from the Headlines | welcome to my blog
- Daily Prompt; My Current Event | sixty, single and surviving
- Justin Bieber Launches Egg Attack! 20K in damages reported | Muggle Magic
- Immigration – in response to the latest articles regarding new immigration laws within European Union | Stories from aside
- Sistine Chapel Baptism | Lisa’s Kansa Muse
- 2 Mass. children die after being found trapped – I can’t even… | Who Would Have Guessed
- What happens when someone invites you into there very public family drama? | An Upturned Soul
- Daily Prompt: High School Sports Current Events | Daily Prompt & Blogging Progress
- Disaster Area | thanks for letting me autograph your cat
- Daily Prompt: Ripped from the Headlines |
- Daily Prompt: Ripped from the Headlines | Incidents of a Dysfunctional Spraffer
- Ceasefire | Life is great
- Another Fish Story | I’m a Writer, Yes I Am
- Fascinated by the Famous: A Thank You | THE OVERCOMING
- Call for a “localised” ceasefire in Syria | Blognovic’s Weblog
- Another Fish Story/Daily Prompt | I’m a Writer, Yes I Am
- Southwest jet lands at wrong airport | Mindful Digressions
- Return Date | The Nameless One
- Daily Prompt: Ripped from the Headlines | Occasional Stuff
- Daily Prompt: Semester Tests | uddza
- Not everyone’s pleased for Woody Allen | Fictionalism
- Daily Prompt: Ripped from the headlines – Big in Japan | Mishe en Place
- (Weekly) Daily Prompt #1: National Obsessions | The Degeneration of My Mind
- .25B$ in flood insurance payouts prompt reconsiderations | Rob’s Surf Report
- Failed Billion Dollar idea? | Emotional Fitness
- Ripped from the Headlines: part one | Wicked Words
- Daily Prompt: Being Current! | All Things Cute and Beautiful
- Swimmer makes Regionals in 4 events! | It’s a wonderful F’N life
- Shortcomings | Short Story Sally
- Daily Prompt: Ripped from the Headlines | A Mixed Bag
- Daily Prompt: Ripped from the Headlines « Mama Bear Musings
- Exploratorius | Photo Hack & Curious Wanderer
- The Golden Globes and Being Alright, Alright Alright! | meanderedwanderings
- Floaty 100, a way to the universe | 2 times pink
- Daily Prompt : News | Chronicles of a Public Transit User
- Ripped from the news… | Life as a country bumpkin…not a city girl
- Ripped from the Headlines: $10,000 Grant Award! | 365 Days of Thank You
- Do Americans Still Watch The Evening News? | Polyprotic Amory
- Daily Prompt – Headlines « My journey to qualify for the Boston Marathon…and everything in between…
- Daily Prompt : Ripped from the Headlines | Nicole Sloan’s Writing
- Daily Post: A Prayer for You | Writing Canvas
- daily prompt: ripped from the headlines | Musings of a Random Mind
- Daily Prompt: Ripped from the Headlines | adorablyobnoxious
- Sugar, Falt and Salt by Michael Moss: A Book Review | Like Ocean Waves