Do you play in your daily life? What says “playtime” to you?
Photographers, artists, poets: show us PLAY.
I was about to go home after a visit to the local town of Solothurn and as if on order, this group of musicians appeared and started to play. Being always armed with my camera I took a photo just as they were playing El Condor Pasa – perhaps not quite Simon and Garfunkel but it sounded very good.
Of course I play in my daily life, from the moment I arise in the morning until evening. The day is just one big playtime. There are two sorts of playing, what you want to play and what you have to play. Sometimes wanting coincides with having to and then the day is just one big round of games.
I can even enjoy ironing, although that is a must, but combined with music from the CD player it can be fun. Imagine ironing your husband’s shirts accompanied by Jumping Jack Flash from the Rolling Stones. You forget the work and just sing along. Ironing duvet covers is a longer job and there I prefer something more soothing in the background, perhaps one of those long guitar pieces from the late Gary Moore: I am thinking of “Still Got the Blues”: ideal for flattening the creases.
Hoovering does not go so well with music as the vacuum cleaner is a noisy machine. However, you can still have fun, watching the dust disappear, leaving a trail of cleanliness behind. I do not have so many carpets, mostly stone tiles and wood, but the vacuum cleaner game can still be fun. Of course it is a game of concentration. Have you suddenly discovered that the machine makes a painful noise, as if to say “turn me off, I have just swallowed too much and am suffocating”. Concentration is required for this moment of playtime, it might be that one of your cats/children/you have left a large object in the way and the vacuum cleaner refuses to play.
I love playing with gadgets. Turning on the washing machine, watching the water fill the space between the garments, with a layer of soap suds, the noise resembling a miniature version of the Niagara Falls. It is a thankful game, as you can leave the machine to play on its own, knowing that in an hour or so the game is over and the wash is ready to be hung up. Some continue this pastime with a tumbler, but that can spoil the game. You no longer have the fun of hanging up the gaming parts to dry or ironing them. It can then become boring.
Some of us do real games, like playing with the computer. I must admit, here I am guilty. Switching the machine on, hearing the throbs of electronic pulsing through its component devices and mother board. The name “mother board” lends a friendly touch to the game, you feel secure and protected. You know that you belong, you are moved when the computer says silently “what shall we play today” as you enter the world of Google, Internet Explorer or perhaps Firefox. The world is at your fingertips, you can create, be part of it, communicate. Unfortunately all good things come to an end.
A hunger feeling creeps into your body and already the next enjoyment approaches on the horizon. “Let’s cook” it says and already you are passing time with potato peelers, chopping knives and other accessories in the kitchen. This is a musical game. The ouverture is the preparation, the first movement is the actual cooking and the grand finale is when all are seated at the table and play the eating game. You may be applauded, showered with praise, you may have a silent audience, all are positive. There might be remainders of food left on the plate. This is not such a recommendation, but you cannot win all the games.
Daily life goes on, make the most of it, it can only get better and do not forget we are all playing one big game of life so enjoy it while you can. You never know what is around the corner.
- Writing is my play | Now Have At It!
- 24/11 Daily Prompt: Playtime | Family, Photos, Food & Craft
- Daily Prompt : Playtime | bambangpriantono
- ermahgerhd | Children’s Ward
- Playtime | Momma Said There’d Be Days Like This
- Daily Prompt: Playtime | Under the Monkey Tree
- Spending time by the beach in St Ives, Cornwall | Laura’s Little Things
- Applaud God | Prayers and Promises
- Horse Play | Eyes to Heart
- The World Is My Playground | The Jittery Goat
- Daily Prompt: Playtime | MKG- Memories-Keepsakes-Gifts
- Playtime | Kate Murray
- Playtime: | Khana’s Web
- Playtime: Solstice | Khana’s Web
- It’s official: I am reading America. | Butterfly Mind
- Daily Prompt : playtime | Mon beau manoir
- Daily Prompt: Playtime | Kawanee’s Korner
- DAILY PROMPT: PLAYTIME! | SERENDIPITY
- Hopeless Chest | Charron’s Chatter
- Daily Prompt: Playtime | life n me!
- The Lurker’s List | When Times Get Rough, We Gotta Play Ball
- “Playtime” | Relax
- Play and Bake… | A Crazy Chef
- Playing it out ! | Life Confusions
- Daily Prompt: Playtime | crookedeyebrows
- Manifesting Nuggets: Games Dreamers Play | All the Snooze That’s Fit to Print
- truth is polished in | y
- Playtime | gorgeous little thieves
- What Part of Play Don’t You Understand? | Just Visiting This Planet
- Play Time | Flowers and Breezes
- My Playtime | A mom’s blog
- Played | vic briggs
- Twists | Historiefortelling
- Puppy Playtime… | Haiku By Ku
- Playing in Words ‘n Pics | Words ‘n Pics
- Daily Prompt: Playtime | theanonymousqueen
- Playtime | Lost in Translation
- Time To Play! | Mountains or Molehills
- It’s Game Day | The Land Slide Photography
- Daily Prompt~Playtime | joannebest
- Daily Prompt: playtime | Chronicles of a Public Transit User
- Play Hard | Retrofocus
- Daily Prompt: Playtime | Around and About The Pacific Northwest
- TV Contests and Christmas | Life is great
- Misty memories of playtime | Rob’s Surf Report
- Bushveld Wedding under the Marula Tree… | The Rider
- Daily Prompt: Playtime | A String of Pearls
- S. Thomas Summers | Childhood Soon Dies
- Work and Play | An almanac for concerned citizens and boysenberry jam fans
- DAILY POST: PLAY « MY WALL
- Daily Prompt: Playtime | ☥ Venom’s Blog ☥
- Daily Prompt : Playtime | My Extraordinary Everyday Life
- Saturday Snapshot | Tommia’s Tablet
- The Makeup of Madness – Lipstick and Lithium – Beauty Blog
- Daily Prompt: Playtime | Basically Beyond Basic
- Play in My World | Kansa Muse
- Daily Prompt: Playtime | To My Wonderland
- Daily Prompt: Playtime | S K I P
- Playing with fabric | the scroobious pip
- Sports and me | Blogging Vogging…
- What’s In Your Toolbox? | Nerdy Woman
- Daily Prompt: Playtime | SIM | ANTICS
- Haiku – Playtime | Dhikrcave
- Daily Prompt: Playtime, Or: Work Hard, Play Hard! | polymathically
- Playtime | it is habit forming
- Play time at the playhouse | JED’s Playhouse
- A Lesson In Storytelling | Wiley’s Wisdom
- Daily post: There’s nothing playful about sport | helen meikle’s scribblefest
- Playtime (Daily Post) | thisblogisepic
- Wonder of Wonders | Wiley’s Wisdom
- Play on, Playah | 6 of One…
- Daily Prompt: Play | UP! With Jesus
- Playtime : Daily Prompt | Speaking Through Curls
- Playtime » Kryson’s Kreations
- The Art of Nob Hill | Adventures in the Underground
- Getting More From Less (Productivity) | victor’s mind
- Daily Prompt: Playtime | Nola Roots, Texas Heart