Tell us about the one luxury item you wish you could afford, in as much detail as you can. Paint a picture for us.
Photographers, artists, poets: show us COVET.
I do not covet, at least I no longer covet and I would not want the car in the photo if it was given to me free, but I am sure it is the pride and joy of its owner. My car has to be smaller, an automatic and fit nicely into a normal standard parking space as I am not so good at manoeuvring. I had a good subject for a photo at the local supermarket parking lot. Talking of cars, I remember being very impressed once when I was driving home from work. In front of me was a nice shiny red Lamborgini Countach. I had to look it up when I got home to see what it actually was. Even the number plate had red numbers with a gold background. It made a sort of throaty chugging sound whilst it was waiting at the traffic lights; perhaps it was love at first sight, but no. I did not covet it as I would have to be able to drive it and that was a big not possible.
I grew up in a working class family, dad worked in a factory on shifts: two weeks nightwork and two weeks days. Mum was an office cleaner in the city of London. She worked from around 6.30 a.m. until 7.30 a.m. before the offices opened. Emptying trash baskets and dusting down the office desks, just generally putting everything in clean working order before the bowler hatted umbrella carrying city gents arrived at work. She was home around 08.00 a.m. in time to get me out of bed for school. As you can see I was not spoilt and was constantly reminded that we did not have the money to buy this and that. I did not actually go without; I just gave up asking for anything. I realised when I was young that if I wanted something then I had to deal with it myself. There was a school trip on a ship, a Baltic Sea cruise, calling in on Scandinavian countries and Russia – Leningrad as it was then known. I wanted to go, very badly. Mum said I will look and see, meaning probably not. I searched for a Saturday job in a shop and found one and worked for a year every Saturday saving. I was successful, paid for everything myself and also had pocket money to take with me.
Coveting was no discussion in my family, if you want it badly then do it yourself. As a teenager I bought all my own clothes, even when I was at school. Keeping up with fashion in the swinging sixties was a must and mum just thought a cheap dress on a stall down the road would do. I worked in the City of London and during the lunch hour would have a look in the various clothing shops and save to buy what I wanted.
Today I am satisfied, having all I need, but just a minute. This afternoon I cleaned the shower. I also have a bathroom to clean and these are the two rooms I hate to clean. Cleaning is not my hobby, but it has to be done. I like to do it regularly to avoid a big and exhausting job. I would love to have a cleaning lady or man to clean my bathroom and shower. It is the time it takes to do it all that bothers me, when I could be writing a blog, taking a walk or reading a book. So, that would be it, a cleaning lady or man. To be quite honest I did not grow up having people clearing away my mess and it is something that would probably disturb me and I would be stupid enough to help out.
Anyone looking for a job, WordPress are paying the wages so no problem.
Daily Prompt: Keeping up with the Jones’
- ermahgerhd | Afford a Vacation
- Covet Thy Love | The Magic Black Book
- Covet | Insanitree
- Daily Prompt: NOT Keeping up with the Jones’ but the birds & fishes | littlegirlstory
- Tall Summer Dreams | Blue Loft
- Fairy Dust | alienorajt
- Thy Shall Not Covert | Dear Yolandi
- Covet Artistically | Abstract Organized Chaos
- A Horse, Of Course | A Sign Of Life
- To be loved-Biggest luxury | મન ની વાત
- I have what I need, and that’s fine by me really. Want is too expensive anyway… | thoughtsofrkh
- Daily Prompt: Keeping up with the Jones’ | Under the Monkey Tree
- Covet | Momma Said There’d Be Days Like This
- All I Ever Wanted Was An MG Midget | The Jittery Goat
- Daily Prompt: Keeping up with the Jones’ | Awl and Scribe
- Daily Prompt: Keeping up with the Jones’ « cognitive reflection
- Covet to Travel around the world | A Crazy Chef
- My Other Blog | Daily Prompt: Keeping Up With The Jones’
- Daily Prompt: Giving Thanks For What I Have | My Daily Prompt Blog
- the Tenth reason | Charron’s Chatter
- Are you kidding me? | Eyes to Heart
- DP: Coveting Luxury Items? | 3 Nish on a Journey
- Daily Prompt; Dear Santa; I would love an X-box | sixty, single and surviving
- Turkey! | Haiku By Ku
- 228. That One Thing | Barely Right of Center
- KILL THE ECONOMY | Emotional Fitness
- Daily Prompt: All I Want For Christmas | One Starving Activist
- Daily Prompt: | Kawanee’s Korner
- Real Luxury | crookedeyebrows
- How I am starting to deeply resent Lego and not just because of the bleeding feet | vazdanešto
- Daily Prompt: Keeping Up with the Jones’s..”Lavish” | Bowl of Rice
- S. Thomas Summers | Covet, Want, Take (Some Time)
- Keeping Up With the Jones’ – Daily Prompt | Write on J.B.
- DAILY PROMPT: KEEPING UP WITH MYSELF | SERENDIPITY
- Time | Life is great
- The Enticement of Luxury | meanderedwanderings
- Daily Prompt: Keeping up with the Jones’ | Basically Beyond Basic
- Wish List | Flowers and Breezes
- Keeping up | The Nameless One
- Keeping up with the Jones’ | 61 Musings
- Who Needs the Jones’ (or An Island Unto Myself) | Finale to an Entrance
- Rob’s Surf Report
- Daily Prompt: Keeping up with the Jones’ | Finding Life
- A Honeymoon Redo | Will Write For Sanity
- So It Is Another Black Friday… | Kansa Muse
- How to conquer a craving – give in! | Words ‘n Pics
- The Price of Luxury | vic briggs
- Only 4 wheels !! | Dreams to Reality !
- Keeping Up With the Jones’ | My Conscious Self
- Struck it rich! | Chasing Rabbit Holes
- Luxurious pie | JosieJolene
- Keeping Up With the Jones’ | RelativeSIMPLE
- Daily Prompt: A Horse | Overcoming Bloglessness
- Luxury pie | JosieJolene
- My very own microscope at home | Formidabulous
- A step by step, | The Land Slide Photography
- Daily Prompt: Keeping up with the Joneses | SIM | ANTICS
- Beautiful Simplicity | Life’s Conversations
- Greener Grass | Mountains or Molehills
- Covet | Maine Forest Cafe
- Daily Post: Keeping up with the Jones’ … | MARGARET ROSE STRINGER
- Covet in the Name of Knowledge | Lead us from the Unreal to the Real
- Daily Prompt: Keeping up with the Jones’ | The Blogging Path
- Daily Prompt: Keeping up with the Jones’ | Crow Arrow, Inc.
- Daily post: Genetic deficiency | helen meikle’s scribblefest
- Keeping up with the mistress Beth B | baja querida
- Daily Prompt: Keeping up with the Jones’ | Nola Roots, Texas Heart
- I Covet Time | Write Through Life