The only thing that came to my mind was when Golum in Lord of the Rings found his precious
For some unknown and suspicious reason (reasons are always suspicious in WordPress), today was a double prompt day. Perhaps we are not working enough for our blogging pages, perhaps we do not treasure the effort involved creating ideas for a daily prompt, or perhaps our Ben pressed the button twice. I was not sure whether to honour the occasion of a second daily prompt, but decided to do it.
We are talking about precious, but I am not Gollum, a figure in the book “Lord Of The Rings” by J.J.R.Tolkien, who possessed a ring he called his “Precious”. The photo is of where I live, on the top of the river bank there is an estate composed of private apparments. This scenery is my Precious. There is fresh air to breath, mountains in the background and a river runs through it.
If I need to go to town, I can take the riverside path and in about 15 minutes I am in town. Naturally I can also take the car or the local train. The River Aar has a long way to travel, across the middle of Switzerland. You can even swim in the river. The fish do not mind, neither do the ducks or swans. I know people that swim from my area to the town of Bern, although only for the fit I would say. Not something I would treasure as being precious.
Of course I possess jewellery. I even have a few more expensive pieces, but I rarely wear them. I have my second wedding ring. When we married I had my original ring, nothing fancy, but they were the days when we needed the money for other things. I broke my arm in England and before the operation they said I should remove my wedding ring. I had nothing against removing this ring, but the problem was it was immovable and did not want to be removed. The nurse tried, the doctor tried, and so I went to the operation with a ring on my finger. When I woke from the anaesthetic my wedding ring was on a silk band around my neck and my finger had a suspicious blue mark where they had removed it. Yes, my precious wedding ring had been removed under anaesthetic, now who can say that.
In the meanwhile I have a wonderful gold watch, EWC which no longer fits due to expansion of the wrist, but I am also happy with my Swatch watch. It keeps perfect time and a watch if for reading the time and not for being “precious”. I had quite a thing for earrings, the bigger the better and the more colourful was perfect: that was in my younger days. Today I always wear earrings. My ears are pierced, and it is no problem. I had my ears pierced in a jewellers in Zürich as I found wearing earrings with piereced ears was less problem than clips which always hurt. I do tend to wear the same earrings today, so I suppose they have become my precious.
But what is precious? Yes, it is my health, my comfort and the people that are part of my life, and you cannot buy that. I have been very lucky in life that I have this.
This has now become the prompt that never was it seems. As I said Ben pressed the buttom twice and this subject has now been removed. As I do not have much better things to do, I wrote it. Perhaps this is now a “Precious” a rarity, something to be treasured, unique. Yes, it will go into the records of the Daily Prompt being “The Prompt That Never Was” – I will become famous.
Who is the person in your life who can do no wrong? Describe this person and tell us why you hold them in such high esteem.
Photographers, artists, poets: show us PRECIOUS.
Now that is not a difficult decision to make is it? Taking everything into consideration, the gift of writing, the spectacular ideas and the impression I leave on the public, there can be only one answer.
“Mrs.Human, Mrs. Human”
This must be serious Nera is waving her paw in the air.
“Yes Nera, I was just beginning one of my epic blogs.”
“Mrs. Human before you begin there are a few things you seem to have forgotten. To avoid any further misunderstanding and twisting of the facts, the person in your life that can do no wrong is of course I, me and myself, followed by my assistant Tabby and apprentice Fluffy. You come at a fourth place, although I think you should ask Mr. Swiss what his opinion is.”
“Nera, there seems to be a misunderstanding. The person in question makes no mistakes and is perfect.”
“Exactly Mrs. Human, do I make mistakes? Am I perfect? Of course. Were it not for me our home would be infested with mice. Due to my care they remain where they belong, in the garden cupboard and in their lairs under the earth in the garden.”
“But Nera ……”
“No buts Mrs. Human. Now and again my team and I bring you a mouse offering, but it is not appreciated. You clinically wrap them in paper and dispose of them in the trash. They are trophies to show how clever we felines are.”
“Nera if it was not for me, you would go hungry. Tins of tuna fish are not paw friendly and you would have to live on vitamin rich food pellets. Imagine a life without tuna fish.”
“You have a point Mrs. Human but smoked salmon also serves its purpose and that comes in scratch friendly plastic which is no problem for an intelligent gifted feline as myself.”
“Do not forget Nera I am the person that keeps your cat tray empty and smelling fresh. I also clean away the crumbs of the litter that you spread when you visit the tray. You just mindlessly scoop it all up with your paws, spreading it onto the floor. Without me there would be one mess and smell.”
“Does it come to your human brain, that we felines perhaps prefer it that way. Humans think we want a litter free corner. If we were living in the wild, where we should be living, we would not have a cat tray. The world would be our toilet and we felines would be able to mark our territory with no problem. We have twice as much work with the human system. As soon as we are outside we are left to ourselves, to fight off any intruders and to protect the zone surrounding our home. This is never appreciated Mrs Human. All we felines hear are complaints to stop fighting the feline invaders in our area and not to make such noises. As far as the word “smell” is concerned, that is a matter of taste.
Mrs. Human the humans also make strange noises and they are often painful to our sensitive ears: much too loud and high.
The most successful blogs you have written are those where I, my assistant Tabby and apprentice Fluffy write them for you. We supply the good ideas and all you do is to type them on your paw unfriendly keyboard. Your followers are not following you, they are following me. Our brother lion might be the King of the Jungle, but we felines are the Kings and Queens of the Human households. Do not forget, we chose to live with you.”
“I thought I chose you Nera.”
“Don’t think too much Mrs. Human, actions speak louder than words. I can hear Tabby scratching the litter together in the cat tray. Move and clear it up, otherwise it might smell to a human nose, although to a feline it is the scent of life.”
On second thoughts, shall I nominate Mr. Swiss???
- Daily Prompt: My Precious | Under the Monkey Tree
- of power games « Anawnimiss
- Everything I Own Has Alittle Bit of Doghair On It | Katherine’s Daughter
- Precious | Momma Said There’d Be Days Like This
- Precious | The Magic Black Book
- Daily Prompt: My Precious | Awl and Scribe
- Precious | for the joy of tiff
- Love’s Invitation | Musings from a practical mystic
- precious | yi-ching lin photography
- How Does Evolution Explain Trust And Spirituality? | The Jittery Goat
- i worry, and i don’t | y
- Mmm. Hobbit porn. (NO! Filthy self, shut up.) | thoughtsofrkh
- Precious imperfection | alienorajt
- My Precious | Geek Ergo Sum
- Winter Wonderland | Blue Loft
- To My Dear and Loving Husband | Mara Eastern’s Personal Blog
- Three Categories | The Number FiftyTwo
- My Precious | Active Army Wife
- My Life Partner ! | Dreams to Reality !
- 232. The Precious One | Barely Right of Center
- Imagination or Utopia | crookedeyebrows
- A Letter: | ♥Barb’s Magical Land Of Oz♥
- In The Highest Esteem | Stuphblog
- Daily Prompt: My Precious – The One You Love | L5GN
- Structure | johnny ojanpera
- High Esteem – Not | Hope* the happy hugger
- The Lurker’s List | My Precious
- Dolce Far Niente – Sweet Doing Nothing | An Upturned Soul
- One of My Babies Has Fur & Bad Breath | The Pinterested Parent
- Pedestals are for Works of Art
- Life Has Precious Moments Take, Enjoy When You Can | Kansa Muse
- Daily Prompt: My Precious « Mama Bear Musings
- THE ARCHANGEL OF LIFE | soumyav
- Daily Prompt: My Precious | Nicki
- Closer to the Sun | Broken Light: A Photography Collective
- My Mama… | Haiku By Ku
- Yellow Orchid | Exploring the world
- Bro’s before… | I am Lynn
- My Precious | lifewithgreeneyes
- DAILY POST: OUR MOST PRECIOUS FUR CHILD | SERENDIPITY
- Together | The Mockingbird in Me
- Precious (or Mother) | Finale to an Entrance
- My Precious, My Bestfriend | The Story of a Guy
- Imperfect | Life is great
- Nurturing Thursday: Blessings Abound! | Light Words
- Precious Tigeress | The Artistic Nobody
- Thursday Thought | Tommia’s Tablet
- Precious |
- She’s Precious. Enough Said. | Momma Roars
- Precious Children? Bah, Humbug | Parents Are People Too
- Daily Prompt: My Precious | And then you’re at Jax
- Imperfections | A mom’s blog
- One Picture..No Words. ….(wp daily prompt) | Daily Observations
- Daily Prompt: My Precious | Basically Beyond Basic
- Daily Prompt: My Precious | Morrighan’s Muse
- My Precious Ones | Saysie
- Memories | Stories from aside
- Tiny Diamonds…A Love Story – Lipstick and Lithium – Bipolar Blog
- Appreciation Sms: My Precious, Spectacular And Encouraging Friend | Wise Counsel
- My Precious | UP! With Jesus
- My Precious | LizzeeBuffy the Inner Demon Slayer
- Rainbow | A Journey Called Life …
- Twin Love – Daily Prompt: My Precious | Reinvention of Mama
- Glorious Imperfections! | meanderedwanderings
- Trade my soul for an invisibility ring? Here, take it! | Rob’s Surf Report
- My Precious | Lead us from the Unreal to the Real
- My Precious | The Nameless One
- Can’t Go Wrong | Retrofocus
- precious granddaughters | peacefulblessedstar
- Daily Prompt: Precious | Different Isn’t Wrong, It’s Just Different
- Daily Prompt: My Precious | Taking One Day At A Time
- Daily Prompt: My Precious » My Life, My Way, My Words
- A Master of Boredom | vic briggs
- Preciousness? Bah Humbug! | Emotional Fitness
- Precious | Sue’s Trifles
- My Precious | Off The Beaten Path (Being Silly in the City)
- Daily post: The person who can do no wrong? Yerk! | helen meikle’s scribblefest
- My Precious…. | Alexia Jones
- Daily Prompt: Precious | Chronicles of a Public Transit User
- My Sister – Smart Stunning Searching
- Flawless | Mirrored World
- Stir together until done | tjbarkerseattle
- Daily Prompt: My Precious | I’m Just Sayin’…
- Daily Prompt: My Precious | Nola Roots, Texas Heart
- Can’t Take Me With You | Wiley’s Wisdom
- Not so precious. | Simple Heart Girl
- Daily Prompt: My Precious | Moments Thru Lens
- Precious | 6 of One…
- Death And Fish: A Grandmother’s Determination | polymathically
- My Precious, a poem: Daily Prompt | standinginthestorm