If you could wake up tomorrow and be fluent in any language you don’t currently speak, which would it be? Why? What’s the first thing you do with your new linguistic skills?
Photographers, artists, poets: show us TONGUE.
“Fluffy, just a sweet little feline tongue, not framed by sharp vampire type teeth.”
“Mrs. Human, no self-respecting feline does sweet.”
I decided to end that conversation, felines have their own way of expressing themselves.
I assume the reference to Rosetta is the Rosetta stone. A stone plate inscribed in three languages, Egyptian hieroglyphs, Demotic script (whatever that is) and ancient Greek. It probably tells a joke about an Egyptian that could not write, so only did pictures, an educated Egyptian who could write and a Greek that met in the bar etc. etc. You know how those jokes go. I actually saw the original stone in the British Museum and one of our first history lessons in high school mentioned this key to the ancient languages, but I was always doubtful.
I personally think it was a gimmick they invented for the museum, to get the people in. After all the British stole the Parthenon marbles from Greece and the Greeks never forgave them. The museum probably decided to do the Rosetta thing on their own. If it was genuine, then who translated it all? The ancient Greeks did not live side by side with the Egyptians. The Egyptians were already sealed away in their chambers in the pyramids wrapped in bandages when the Greeks learned to write, I am sure. And the Demotics? They were just invented to fill in the stone in the middle, to make it look good. They were also supposed to be Egyptians, but decided to write with dots and curves instead of pictures.
I can see the team of artists sitting in the basement of the British museum chiselling away. “Hey Fred, how shall I do the cat?” “Just scrape a straight line with a curve on each side to represent the ears.” “Good idea Joe, will do. Ow!” “Something wrong Fred?” “The chisel slipped and now I have three curves.” “No problem Joe, they will probably think the cats had three ears.” “Aristotle, how are you progressing with the Greek part?” “OK, luckily we Greeks only have 24 letters.”, or something like that. And so the Rosetta stone was born.
Today I awoke, walked to the kitchen and began to talk to Mr. Swiss in Swiss German. I was even thinking in Swiss German. This did not happen overnight, it took forty-six years and even now it is not “Fehlerfrei” (without mistakes). I am almost fluent in that strange German dialect, get through with French and Italian and if I am really pushed can do it in Russian, although I do not have enough practice with my Russian.
I even spent a year learning Arabic, but this was a thing of impossibility. No-one speaks Arabic (except perhaps some Emirate States), at least not the Arabic I learned. They all do their own thing and even the Arabs amongst themselves do not always understand each other. Of course, there is the so-called high Arabic spoken on the radio and what the kids learn at school, but it all boils down to the place where you grow up.
Waking up tomorrow and speaking a foreign language of your choice would not be my thing. It would be taking a short cut and not suffering the fun of making mistakes on the way. Mr. Swiss still enjoys my mispronunciation of some words in Swiss German, although I am convinced I make no mistakes and he just misunderstands what I actually wanted to say.
- Daily Post: Take That, Rosetta! | Basically Beyond Basic
- Teachable Moments Are The Last Refuge Of Tyrants | The Jittery Goat
- Concrete Navy | Exploratorius
- Daily Prompt: Take That Rosetta | Incidents of a Dysfunctional Spraffer
- Lovely language of love and lust – Daily Prompt | alienorajt
- Cat Tongues are rough | Purple Rosemary
- Daily Prompt: Take That, Rosetta! | Under the Monkey Tree
- Daily Post: Take That, Rosetta! | tnkerr-Writing Prompts and Practice
- Screaming in Unheard Tongues | 365 days of defiance
- Give Me it ALL, Rosetta Stone | The Mercenary Researcher
- Daily Prompt: Being Fluent! | All Things Cute and Beautiful
- Daily Prompt: Take That, Rosetta! | Step It Up
- A Punch! | Hope* the happy hugger
- DP Daily Prompt: Take That Rosetta! | Sabethville
- Arena de Verona – Bucket List | My Little Avalon
- Daily prompt : Take That Rosetta | La chica de la burbuja
- Daily Post: Take That, Rosetta! « cognitive reflection
- Mother tongue | A mom’s blog
- Daily Post: Take That : TONGUE: They Call It Puppy Love | heysugarsugar
- Daily Prompt: Take That, Rosetta! | imagination
- timoun radyan ini | peacefulblessedstar
- Daily Post: Take That, Rosetta! | seikaiha’s
- Daily Prompt: Take That, Rosetta « Mama Bear Musings
- A Prayer | The Zombies Ate My Brains
- Puppy Tongues… | Haiku By Ku
- 262. New Fluency | Barely Right of Center
- ANYONE WANT SOME TONGUE? | SERENDIPITY
- Daily Post: Take That Rosetta! | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- For the love of Urdu | Rima Hassan
- Daily Post: Tongue, served with a side of ‘Dukkitude’ | Violet Skye
- Languages of a Mom | It’s a wonderful F’N life
- Essential French | le chat dit
- To Learn Arabic | Flowers and Breezes
- DP: Tongue | As I See It
- Daily Post: Take That, Rosetta (Since you’ll never offer Quechua anyways) | “Music is what feelings sound like.”
- Grüezi! Daily Post | I’m a Writer, Yes I Am
- Languages | Ana Linden
- Can you blame me? | Casually Short
- Rosetta what? The Universal Language | In diesen Augenblick
- FRENCH. « ayimas
- Daily Post: Take that, Rosetta! | From a Place of…
- Daily Post: Take That, Rosetta! | The Wandering Poet
- Cat Got Your Tongue? | Babsje Heron
- Ah! fluency | Life is great
- Daily Prompt: Photography Prompt Tongue | Nicola Kirk
- How Speaking French Could Make You Sexy! | The Political and Social Chaos Blog
- Got To Love those Tongues | Cee’s Photography
- Secrets and Adventures | Life Of A Cosmetologist!
- Take That, Rosetta! | The Nameless One
- Take That, Rosetta! and move your hands a lot. | The Uncustomary Housewife
- Second Language Wishes | Kimberly M. Ringer
- How to pronounce Llanfairpwllgwyngyll | Longish Staves of Prose
- What I Would Do: Language Rendition | Renée Hamlin
- Sign In | Emotional Fitness
- Let me see your tongue | Me, You and Zu
- Daily Prompt: February 10 | The Slow Race to the Future
- Yo deseo hablar español | djgarcia94
- Daily Post: Take That, Rosetta! | Diary of Dennis
- Another Language | “Crone-ing”
- HE LIFTS US UP: ACTS 2 | ChristianBlessings
- The Camino Plan | Spanish Lessons For The Road
- Daily Post: Take That, Rosetta! | Be Good.
- Daily Post: Take That, Rosetta! | To Breathe is to Write
- Speak the Whole Truth – and Nothing but the Truth | Losing It
- Parlez Vous Francais? | “The Ish,” presented by the Bohemian Rock Star
- Take That, Rosetta! | A New Life Wandering
- Take that Rosetta! : Daily Post | Destino
- Daily Post: Take That, Rosetta! | Occasional Stuff
- Daily Prompt: Take That, Rosetta! | SIM | ANTICS
- Well Placed Words | Shades of Teal
- 41/365 tongue | @vannilla
- Rotterdam Gesloten (Monday mornings) | Mishe en Place
- Tongue | Passionately Bored
- Daily Prompt: Tongue | An American in Norway, a Citizen of the World
- I do not understand you | 2 times pink
- Daily Prompt: Having fun with Italian | Life’s So Sweet
- Bonsoir! | meanderedwanderings
- The Language of Love | The Joy of Health Nutrition and Beauty
- Daily Prompt: Language | That Montreal Girl
- Speak To Me | Edward Hotspur
- Tongues of Men and of Angels | Burning Fire Shut Up In My Bones
- Learning To Speak | At least we made it this far…
- Take That, Rosetta! – Ramblings from the Swamp
- Before Rosetta Stone and Google Translate | 365 Days of Thank You
- Daily Prompt: Take That, Rosetta! | Bound to Wonder
- Tongues: Acts 2 | The Christian Gazette
- Word-hu(o)b | The Word Trance
- Same In Any Language | Wiley’s Wisdom
- Daily Prompt: Tongue_Cuneiform | Advocacine’s Blog
- The Language of God | Making Life an Art
- Meanwhile, in the Land of the Rising Sun… | My Author-itis
- Take That, Rosetta!
- La Lingua Italiana | My Infernal Imagination
- Daily Post: Take That, Rosetta! | Nola Roots, Texas Heart
- Daily Post: Take That, Rosetta! | adorablyobnoxious
- Daily Post: Take That Rosetta! Meine Sprache | The Rambling Rose
- Language… | Life Objectified.