What is your very favorite holiday? Recount the specific memory or memories that have made that holiday special to you.
Photographers, artists, poets: show us BELOVED
Daily Prompt sometimes wants to know too much. I like writing my blogs, but avoid telling too much of my private life and this is asking for too much private so I am not going into too many details.
My favourite holiday? I do not do favourite holidays, they happen and I do what everyone expects me to do. I think in this case Christmas is the holiday that is asked for. I am an athest, but find having a celebration once a year with all the trimmings is OK.
Christmas was a good holiday when I was a kid. They were what I call the black and white holidays, because if we had any photos (and we do not) they would be in black and white, coloured films being too expensive in the fifties and beginning sixties. It was a family Christmas, it had always been that way and so it stayed. The family being mum’s family with a short visit to dad’s mum and dad and sister before the party started. Me, my five cousins and the aunts and uncles gathered at the biggest house in the family where my aunt lived. She had the tree, in silver plastic, we had presents and all the aunts gathered in the kitchen to make the tea. Evening was a party with music, dancing and singing and plenty to drink. Of course it was fun, I had no work, got presents and we kids were left to ourselves.
So let us fast forward to my days when I had young children of my own. My mum and dad would come from England to Switzerland and spend the week with us. We had a tree, done Swiss style with real candles. Mum was a bit nervous on that one, thinking that the house would probably burn down if we were not careful. We celebrate in Switzerland on 24th December in the evening, another problem for mum. She was used to a real good old East End knees up party on 25th. Switzerland is more into the real meaning stuff of Christmas. We have fun, not exactly a carnival celebration, more on the quiet side.
The evening meal is the meal of the holiday, meaning mum cooks it and all the others eat it. Not like the ham sandwiches from the good old black and white days, no you prepared it. and cooked it. Perhaps a chateau briand with the trimmings, meaning making a sauce to go with it and various vegetables. It was work in the kitchen. Of course you supply a desert, could be ice cream and fruit, or something with a delicate sweet sauce. After the meal the kids are to produce something, perhaps say a poem or play an instrument and sing. Then they get the presents from the tree. Just not the happy go lucky Christmas from the good old days in London, something completely different. I think it was then I realised that Christmas could be hard work and it was probably similar for my aunts when I was younger.
Time goes on, the family grows up, and the kids are no longer kids. I now like my quiet Christmas. It is now on a smaller scale, the work is less, the stress is less and the presents are less.
- Paris in the Springtime | Lost in Translation
- I Remember When… | 61 Musings
- That red and white checked cookbook | Butterfly Mind
- A Thanksgiving Mom Won’t Forget | The Jittery Goat
- Memories of Holidays Past | Geek Ergo Sum
- Daily Prompt: Memories of Holidays Past | My Extraordinary Everyday Life
- Daily Prompt: Memories of Holidays Past | Under the Monkey Tree
- Daily Prompt: Memories of Holidays Past |
- Fairytale Moments in Copenhagen | Life is a Vacation
- Ghost of Christmas Past! | ♥Barb’s Magical Land Of Oz♥
- My Most Beloved Holiday Isn’t Even my Own: Christmas Eve With my Italian In-Laws | gorgeous little thieves
- Christmas to me is only Christmas when it’s hot… | thoughtsofrkh
- Today’s Prompt: Memories of Holidays Past |
- Memories of Holidays Past | Angel Frouk
- 234. Holidays Past | Barely Right of Center
- Daily Post: Memories of Holidays Past « Mama Bear Musings
- Once an Eid day | A mom’s blog
- Christmas is Gingerbread Cookies | Live Life in Crescendo
- My Favorite Holiday of the (New) Year
- Taj Mahal | crookedeyebrows
- beloved circa 2004 | peacefulblessedstar
- Christmas on Lamu: views of a Swahili Community | Tish Farrell
- S. Thomas Summers | The Wisdom of Trolls (Part II)
- Christmas Past | 6 of One…
- The Real Tree | The Library Lady and Rosie Bear
- Daily Prompt: Memories of Holidays Past | reyoflight
- Daily Prompt: Memories of Holidays past | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Once Upon a Thanksgiving . . . | meanderedwanderings
- When the Whales Come Calling | Retrofocus
- Memories of Holidays Past | The Nameless One
- Holiday past. | Tales of a slightly stressed Mother!
- Christmas Eve | Life is great
- Calming & Centering | Broken Light: A Photography Collective
- Heylooo TESLA!! 🙂 | gypsy thoughts ..
- Killing Santa | Emotional Fitness
- Trip to Azad Kashmir | Dreams to Reality !
- Daily Prompt: Memories of Holidays Past | Elämän katupeili
- The Northern Areas | Flowers and Breezes
- To All a Good Night For A Bit Of Christmas Cheer | Kansa Muse
- Of summers and friends long ago lost | Many musings blog’s Blog
- Daily Prompt: Memories of Holidays Past | Finding Life
- growing up without santa | Musings of a Random Mind
- Do You Know the Muffin Man? | Lead us from the Unreal to the Real
- DAILY PROMPT: HAPPY BIRTHDAY AMERICA! | SERENDIPITY
- The Daily Prompt: memories of holidays past « MARGARET ROSE STRINGER
- Memories of Holidays Past | Winding Road
- Daily Prompt: Memories of Holidays Past | Basically Beyond Basic
- Chocolate, Milk, and a Baby? | The Wind…It is blowing…
- Surfer Rob’s “Bah, humbug” rationale | Rob’s Surf Report
- Keep the Magic Close to Your Heart…..(wp daily prompt) | Daily Observations
- Daily Prompt: Christmas Folly | One Starving Activist
- Daily Prompt: Beloved | sukies original
- Every Year’s Eve | Stories from aside
- Twelve Days ‘Til Christmas: On The Fourth Day | Taking One Day At A Time
- Memories of Holidays Past: My own personal horror story | RPMAS
- M E M O R I E S | the bippity boppity beautiful blog
- Mom Got Ran Over By a…Chairlift | Life By Mal
- Memory of a Holiday Past (Daily Prompt on WordPress) | 365 Days of Thank You
- Daily Prompt: Beloved | Chronicles of a Public Transit User
- Daily Prompt: Memories of Holidays Past | The First Gates
- Christmas is… | Misifusa’s Blog
- Holiday Memories of Naked Santa and Other Misfits (Rated “G”) | by LRose
- The Happiest of Christmases Past and Present and Yet to Come | A Wild One Within
- family catchphrases | The Number FiftyTwo
- Ashes of Roses: My Christmas Story | Ashes of Roses
- Chickens on Vacation | tjbarkerseattle
- The lovely evening has arrived | 2 times pink