If bloggers had their own Halloween and could go from blog to blog collecting “treats,” what would your blog hand out?
Photographers, artists, poets: show us TREAT.
Somewhere in a country called Switzerland there was a supermarket chain. Their turnover was lagging behind the competitors, they needed new ideas. During the summer they were successful with their ice cream, bar-b-q items, plants for the garden. The days were drawing in, the evenings were darker and the temperatures were sinking. Something had to be done to revive the buying power of the customers.
In a public relations office in the main building, Fridolin Schweizer had a brain wave:the evening before he had been watching the film Halloween with his family on the television. “That was it, our business needs Halloween”. He was sure this was the solution. The Swiss people had been starved of tricks and treats and things that scream In the night. It was time to awake the Swiss from their autumn lethargy and the sales of Halloween sweets, ornaments and plastic pumpkins would be the hit of the year. Fridolin Schweizer’s brain was overflowing with ideas. He could see the happy smiling children persuading their parents to buy, buy, buy. Visions of chocolate witches, orange sugar pumpkins, liquorice broomsticks were arriving.
The departments in the largest branches would be decorated with nylon cobwebs hanging in the corners, there would be costumes for Halloween parties. Skeletons, vampire teeth, pointed hats for witches and perhaps even severed fingers dripping blood and hands as props. Switzerland would become the most frightening country of Europe. It would be taken over by the Halloween fever.
Fridolin Schweizer convinced the management that this would be the rescue of the declining turnover in Autumn and so it came to pass that various orders were sent to buy the necessary articles for the shops in countries with such names as Hong Kong and China.
Unfortunately for the Swiss, Halloween was something strange, another import from the big country over the pond. The Swiss had their All saints Day in the catholic areas when the cemeteries were visited. Wreaths and flowers were placed on the graves in remembrance of the departed. It was far from the Swiss citizen’s mind to celebrate such an occasion. Of course the younger generation always like the idea of an excuse for a party. It was fun, but Halloween was not the event of the year.
Fridolin Schweizer had visions of children dressed up as Jack the Ripper, Michael Myers, Dracula, Freddy Krueger knocking on doors, ringing the bells of unsuspecting neighbours and threatening with tricks or treats. Unfortunately the Swiss neighbours had no idea what was going on and a hoard of young children dressed up as horror figures were not their idea of fun and there were no boxes of treats to be had. Tricks were dealt with in a negative sense, some neighbours threatening with police action and telling the children they should be ashamed of themselves.
The supermarket chain sold all the Halloween props at half price during the month of November. Those remaining at the end of November were to be bought at a quarter of the original price and Fridolin Schweizer was transferred to the warehouse.
Is this fact or fiction? A little fact, and some fiction. A few years ago there was an effort to introduce Halloween to Switzerland. The shops were selling candies, skeleton costumes, witche’s hats. There were even a few small groups of children (accompanied by their parents) on a trick and treat excursion, but no-one had any tricks or treats at home. The attempt failed and today Halloween is just something they celebrate over the pond.
This evening I will not be disturbed by any knocks at the door and might watch a horror film on the television. Tomorrow is a holiday in the catholic Kantons of Switzerland for All Souls Day. The cemeteries are full of visitors placing candles or Autumn wreaths on the graves of the departed.
You ask what treat I would leave if anyone would call. Actually my apple tree was very fruitful this year and I have a whole basket of apples, so if anyone calls (are you hearing me daily prompters) then there will be an Angloswiss apple for each of you.
- British Navy Using Spears Against Pirates | DCMontreal: Blowing the Whistle on Society
- Happy Halloween!!! | Jab and Cross followed by Cross and Stitch
- Trick or Treat | Kate Murray
- All Hallows’ Eve – Valencia style | Beth Byrnes
- Treats for Bloggers | piran café
- milk and cookies | yi-ching lin photography
- I Would Literally Blow Your Mind | sayanything
- Daily Prompt: Trick or Treat | Under the Monkey Tree
- Treat | Rebecca Barray
- Daily Prompt: Trick or Treat | Awl and Scribe
- Ghost Post 31: Treacherous Trio | writemybrainsout
- Daily Prompt/ treat at sweetwildflower’s | sweetwildflower
- Halloween Treats For Bloggers | Tony’s Texts
- Daily prompt: TREAT | I Spy with My Little Eye…
- The Light is ON, Come Knock on the Door! | Not a Punk Rockerr
- Milkweed Pods (Treat) | photo potpourri
- DP: Trick or Treat! | The Deepwater Goldfish
- Daily Prompt: Trick or Treat | The Story of a Guy
- I’ll be handing out… | Hope* the happy hugger
- Let Them Eat Cake Or Candy | The Jittery Goat
- Daily Prompt Halloween Special! | aliceatwonderland
- Sticks and Bones | CurTales
- FOR EVERYONE, A PUMPKIN | SERENDIPITY
- My Life is a Trick and Treat « MID-DAY SPRITZER
- Halloween’s Treats | Flowers and Breezes
- Bowtie Beau! | Not the Family Business!
- Daily Prompt; Your Halloween treat | sixty, single and surviving
- Trick or Treat | A mom’s blog
- Poor Old Paul the Pumpkin… | EW Brown
- Daily prompt – Halloween!!! | Just some random thoughts
- Halloween: 11th anniversary of living in Ireland! | Daily Prompt: Trick or Treat | Ireland, Multiple Sclerosis & Me
- Trick or Treat | Kansa Muse
- Trick or Treat? | puncta lucis
- Daily Prompt: Trick or Treat | Rewired and Retired in Nicaragua
- Treats | Fruit Salad
- Daily Prompt| A Visual Treat For You | The Lovely Photog
- Daily Prompt: Treats | My Atheist Blog
- Here’s a Halloween Treat for You.. | mostlytrueramblings
- S. Thomas Summers | Happy Halloween!
- This ‘N’ That Halloween! | Haiku By Ku
- Vote for Top Dog! | Farfetched Friends
- HALLOWEEN PROMPT | hastywords
- “Trick or Treat” | Relax
- Daily Prompt: Trick or Treat | Pretty Pleasures
- A Poem: Trick or Treat? | I Hope You’re Taking Notes
- Daily Prompt: Trick or Treat | A Mixed Bag
- Trick or Treat? | Journey to the Centre of My Heart
- Ain’t no Sunshine when she’s gone | I’m just Super Saiyan
- When the Veil Between Worlds Drops | An Upturned Soul
- Likes and follows | Life is great
- Halloween “Treat” : Get it here | Processing the life
- Babble | crookedeyebrows
- Trick or Treat | The Silver Leaf Journal
- Ding-Dong! Trick or Treat! | We Live In A Flat
- Trick or Treat! | The Visionary Hollow
- halloween | belgradestreets
- Daily Prompt: Trick or Treat | Crow Arrow, Inc.
- Gift of myself | alienorajt
- Daily Prompt: Trick or Treat | Basically Beyond Basic
- The Blogger’s Potion #8….(wp daily prompt) | Daily Observations
- Daily Prompt: Trick or Treat | Chicomallorca’s Blog
- Happy Halloween… | Let There be Peace on Earth
- Ask Me… | Emotion at Peek
- Messaging Aliens | Emotional Fitness
- Feliz dia do Saci | Saindo da SêMente
- When the Veil Between Worlds Drops – The Short Version | An Upturned Soul
- Halloween Begins the Holiday Madness | To Pursue Happiness
- Halloween: Trick or Treat | meanderedwanderings
- Day Nineteen: I’m a HalloWeenie | Clearing My Voice
- Things that go “boo” in the night | MC’s Whispers
- Nurturing Thursday: Tonight We Hold the Poets Hand as Death Beckons | Light Words
- TREATS NOT TRICKS | Parents Are People Too
- Trick or Treat! « 33 Grams of Blog
- Daily Prompt: Trick or Treat | Life In The Passenger Seat
- Treats: a Stupid Halloween Joke & a Pooch | Food and Everything Else
- The Art of Halloween? Sorry, I’m not qualified… | thoughtsofrkh
- Ode to Samhain | A.C. Melody
- A Treat for Bloggers Visiting on Halloween | mother of nine9
- Treats |
- Daily Prompt: Trick or Treat | Overcoming Bloglessness
- At the Pumpkin Patch | Broken Light: A Photography Collective
- Trick or treat: Halloween- Daily Prompt | parislux
- Trick or Treat? The Eyes Have It | Pairings: Art + What Goes With It
- Hauntingly Haute! | TREND NERD
- Trick or…oh wait Halloween’s not celebrated here…d’oh! | Life as a country bumpkin…not a city girl
- Daily Prompt: Treats | Happily Skipping Thru Life
- Daily post/treat | annetteharris42
- I’m Just Generous Like That | Momma Roars
- Treat. | Forlorn Hope: A Diary Of A Broken Heart
- Here’s a Treat! | JC Bride ~
- Halloween Costumes | Write Through Life
- Daily Prompt: Treat | Chronicles of a Public Transit User
- What the fox says we should hand out for blog treats: | Rob’s Surf Report
- Spooky! | Taking One Day At A Time
- Halloween treats | Sue’s Trifles
- Trick-or-Treat (Daily Prompt) | Lynne McAennyl
- Open Door, Hand Out Treat | Edward Hotspur
- Trick or Treat: Magnets | Mac’s Blog
- Enjoy the festivities- Cheers! | tornin2’s Blog
- Happy Halloween | The Corned Beef Hashtag
- A Moment of Magic | Wiley’s Wisdom
- Smiles | Maggie’s Writing
- Daily Prompt- Trick or Treat, and Halloween “Hi” | Waiting on a Word
- Daily Prompt: Trick or Treat | Destino
- Daily Prompt: Trick or Treat | Words We Women Write
- Daily Prompt: Trick or Treat | Pomme Garden
- Daily Prompt: Trick or Treat | Those Littlee Things
- Daily Prompt: Trick or Treat – The Light of Amida Pumpkin | Seas Reflecting Starlight
- The Domestic Life of Ghosts | tjbarkerseattle