When you’re away from home, what person, thing, or place do you miss the most?
Photographers, artists, poets: show us HOME.
Seeing the first chain of the Jura Mountains in our back yard is probably the symbol of being home again.
When I was younger, I would go away now and again, mostly holidays. We then lived in the town with the children, and the wide open spaces called us to see something completely different. It might be the Swiss mountains, perhaps a city visit somewhere in Europe, or a summer holiday by the sea in another country. We were not a travelling family, travels can be expensive, but within out limits we had fun and enjoyed doing and seeing something completely different.
Now approaching the twilight of our years, travel does not draw us away from home so much. Our children do their own thing, quite rightly, and we now like to take it easy. The views from our porch and home compensate fully for anything I might find in another place.
There is another aspect of home. Home is where you live, where you do what you want to do and the composition of your day means no stress.
What do I miss the most when away? I am sure my routine, although I can hear some saying routine is boring, no action, and the same old thing all the time. I do not care; I have now grown to appreciate the repetition of life. One of my pet hates going out for the day is that I cannot relax when I need relaxation. I might enjoy having lunch in a restaurant, but in which restaurant can you take five after eating. Where is there a place to relax? I cannot lay on the floor, or assemble two chairs and go into the horizontal position of bliss.
I have become very comfortable in my ways since no longer working. The best part of the day is the part where I can relax after lunch. Where I can retire to a comfortable place, perhaps a sofa, or even my bed, close my eyes and escape for an hour or so. The place where I can recharge my batteries and forget all that is around me.
There might be a disturbing influence of a feline that decides to join me in my midday sojourn, but as my felines seem to be in a permanent state of “take it easy” and “where shall we sleep now”, they seem to understand my need for relaxation and join me, especially Tabby. Now and again she earns a tummy tickle or under the chin tickle, but she leaves me to my thing.
This is where we arrive at the next part of home: a lady with her felines and they do not belong to me, I belong to them and so does their home. They always come home eventually, whether drawn away by the smell of a mouse, or an interesting event in a field, they know where home is.
Once a year I leave home to visit my father in London. I leave Mr. Swiss, three felines and my house and my now adopted country. Of course I miss my father, love to see him again and am very well looked after when in London. I stay at my friend’s house, school friend that I have known so many years: almost a second home, but not quite. When I board the plane to return to Switzerland, arrive in Zürich and take the train for Solothurn, I am approaching home. People in the train speak a language I have now adopted as my own home language, I see scenes floating past the train windows that are my places, I recognise every little village, small town and each one of the 4-5 stops the train makes on the way. I am approaching home and meeting my favourite chauffeur at the station completes my picture.
I suppose I have become a sentimental old lady, comfortable in my ways.
If I were in a country where home no longer exists, home being a road or a path to travel until finding security again, then this blog would be a joke. A news report comes to my mind that I saw on the TV yesterday evening. It showed a Syrian family that at last could escape from their war-torn country and were now in Switzerland living with their relations that had settled here many years ago. They told of their problems in Syria and the wife of the family said it was the first time for a long while that when they awoke in the morning they felt safe and knew they would not have to be worried about surviving the day with the children. We have an easy choice in deciding where Home Sweet Home is in comparison with others.
- Clutches | The Magic Black Book
- Dogs Feel At Home | The Ambitious Drifter
- Daily Prompt: Home Sweet Home | Awl and Scribe
- I don’t wanna miss a thing (but I do) | Neva Samaki
- Where My Heart Is | thelifeofagirlsite
- Where the Heart Lies | tinypurpleme
- Daily Prompt: HOME SWEET VIRTUAL HOME | SERENDIPITY
- Gentle Hills and Fields | Reinvention of Mama
- Daily Prompt: Home « Vicariously Poetic
- The Sick Story | Mind of a Mouse
- It’s almost, but not quite… | thoughtsofrkh
- Daily Prompt: Home | VNA Images
- Yoga Class | I’m just Super Saiyan
- Home is where I put my hat… | Kate Murray
- Confessions from the Cracked Pot (Part 3) | JC Bride ~
- Cornish Lavender: fiction | alienorajt
- Daily Prompt: Home Sweet Home | Whimsical Eclecticist
- Daily Prompt: Home Sweet Home | Steve Says….
- Under the Moon at Home | Misifusa’s Blog
- Home Sweet Home | mostlytrueramblings
- Dublin, Ireland | Daily Prompt: Home Sweet Home | Ireland, Multiple Sclerosis and Me
- Home is where heart is | sylphontheloose
- Daily Prompt: Home Sweet Home | Myas – A Tragic Lady But No TB
- Food sweet Food | Life Confusions
- Why Home Sweet Home Is The Best Place To Be! | The Political and Social Chaos Blog
- Saying Goodbye Is Like Drowning (short fiction) | The Jittery Goat
- Home – Post a Day Photo Challenge | Tidbits n Treasures
- When Birds Come To Roost ‘Ere | Spirit Lights The Way
- Daily Prompt: Home Sweet Home | Wordz on a Page
- Home Is Where The Jobs Are | mutatiomagistra
- Missing Home | Flowers and Breezes
- World War One, Coincidences and Family Birthdays | DCMontreal: Blowing the Whistle on Society
- Daily Prompt; Home Sweet Home | terry1954
- Home Sweet Home | SimplySage
- What’s to miss when I’m gone? | Rob’s Surf Report
- Home Sick: flash fiction | Motherhood and Beyond
- Home Sweet Home- Daily Prompt | The Rider
- Daily Prompt: Home Sweet Home | tnkerr-Writing Prompts and Practice
- Please get off my bed | The Otter in my Jotter
- Daily Prompt: Home Sweet Home 2 « Every day adventures in Asia (mostly)
- Daily Prompt: Away Sweet Away | My Atheist Blog
- Donna’s home tour of the flat | We Live In A Flat
- What is home? | Tales of a slightly stressed Mother!
- This place I call home | Madhura’s Musings
- Cee’s Fun Foto Challenge: Sand | Under the Monkey Tree
- Daily Prompt: Home Sweet Home | James’s Journal
- Home Sweet Home ♥ | Perhaps yes, perhaps no. Exactly? I don’t know.
- Not All Who Wander Are Lost . . . | meanderedwanderings
- Psst…I Need Your Help? | Cheri Speak
- Home Sweet Home | The Nameless One
- Daily Prompt: Home Sweet Home | Chicomallorca’s Blog
- The Conundrum | What’s In The Pot : Farewell
- Where Does The Red Brick Road Go? | Just Visiting This Planet
- Where the Heart Is | Real Life Co.
- Daily Prompt: Home Sweet Home | Moments Thru Lens
- Home Sweet Home | jane1davis
- Daily Prompt: Home Sweet Home | My Heaven | Silver Wonderland
- Home Sweet Home | My thoughts on a page.
- The Hills are Alive… | A mom’s blog
- Daily Prompt: Home Sweet Home | Vagabond
- YOU MISS YOUR LIFE | crookedeyebrows
- Family | Life is great
- People prints | lemon lime follies
- The Joy Of Going Home | ~xoxo, msL
- Beneath the Coconut Trees | Barefoot on Rainy Days
- Daily Prompt: Home Sweet Home is where these misfits are | emilykkeyes
- Home sweet heart | Le Drake Noir
- Daily Prompt: How Do I Miss Thee? Let Me Count the Ways | One Starving Activist
- Not sure where “home” is now | djgarcia94
- Daily Prompt: Home Sweet Home | DeafGuy Blog
- Daily Prompt: Home Sweet Home | A Hedonistic Wander
- Homemade Happiness | Bright Tuesday
- Home Sweet Home | ashwitaashok
- Home is where the stomach is! | luvsiesous
- A quiet day at home | The Silver Leaf Journal
- Home is where the heart is | breezes at dawn
- Daily Prompt: Home Sweet Home | MissEmilyMarie23
- Home Sweet Hope | Mary Angelini Photography
- Act 6, Scene 2: Cosmos | Romance Without Words
- Daily Prompt: Home Sweet Home | Undecided Answer
- Daily Prompt 10.19.13 | The Wife Life
- Where is Home?.. | Sunshine Intentions
- Sanctuary: I love my home | Chasing Rabbit Holes
- What I Miss Most | My Year of New Beginnings
- Home Sweet Home | Life as a country bumpkin…not a city girl
- Poem: Home Sweet Home Is Choice | Wise Counsel
- Daily Prompt: Home Sweet Home | Basically Beyond Basic
- No Place Like Home | Words from the heart
- Daily Post: Home Sweet Home | Running After Ale
- Home is where my heart is… | i Ord och Bild
- There’s No Place Like… – Compass & Quill
- Where ever you go…..(wp daily prompt) | Daily Observations
- Daily Prompt: October 19, 2013 – Home Sweet Home | Jottings and Writings
- Daily Prompt: Home Sweet Home | College Girl Dai
- House of Cards Eps 1-2 | katzinthecradle
- Happy Fall Break! « kodi.
- The Fragrance of Home | beebeesworld
- Wish You Were Here | CurTales
- Home : Daily Post | Destino
- Home: Detroit | Mac’s Blog
- Homemade: Tipping back a glass of ice cold water | aaroneharris
- Home? Where’s that? | 6 of One…
- Daily Prompt: Home Sweet Home | Processing the life
- 55. Baseball, Gardening and Art | Spy Garden
- The little people | Legends of Lorata
- Family Dinners | Gabi’s stuff
- The Lurker’s List | Carefree Under the Sea
- WP Daily Prompt for October 19, 2013: Home Sweet Home | CAROLYN’S COMPOSITIONS
- That place called home. | Sun, Sand, Stars and Dreams