In the comedy “Groundhog Day” Bill Murray experienced the same day again and again, stuck in a time loop until he got the day “right.” What day would you choose to repeat until you got it right? Do you think it’s ever possible to get life “right”?
Photographers, artists, poets: show us REPETITION.
The Sedum is blossoming in my garden, a wonderwork of repetition.
My life is a Groundhog Day since being free in the “things you have to do” world. I do not have to go to work to earn my living; I am too old, removed to the trash can of life. No-one needs me to do the job. I was replaced a week after I left, being told it was hard times and we have to save.
But let us not be gloomy or despair in this new situation. I am now “free” arising around 8.00 a.m. and eat breakfast, play with my computer, clean through my living quarters. Even the cleaning through operation is a repetitive job: but wait, not always. I have a plan. On some days particular attention will be paid to a certain room, a certain article (like a window), perhaps there might be an interruption to my routine. Mr. Swiss is missing, gone on a sojourn to a far place for a music rehearsal or “to see a man about a dog” (for those that do not know – a cockney expression). Even I might be forced to go in a different direction. The doctor needs me for a check-up, or I need him because I have again had a surprise accident. I may have a dentist appointment; I might even have a social meeting with someone for a coffee in town. Life is full of surprises.
Reflecting to my treadmill days of work, they were the groundhog days. They were the days when a process of repetition was instilled in my brain. Work started in the morning at the same time, on the way drop my son off to his workplace, lunchtime in the local supermarket restaurant, afterwards a logistical shopping trip, continue with work in the afternoon at the same time and finish at the same time. The day continues at home. Prepare an evening meal and eventually collapse into an armchair with a television for company, where you might, you most definitely will, fall asleep to awake with a shock realising it is already time to go to bed.
This prompt is really food for thought, writing this wonderwork of social science, I have now come to the conclusion that life is one big Groundhog Day. Today is Sunday, a day of rest – tell me about it. Food is not prepared on its own, and there is always something somewhere to be done. The Groundhog Sunday is born and that is not something that will change.
One thing I have in common with the Groundhog, I like to sleep. One thing I do not have in common with the Groundhog is that I sleep when I want to and not when I have to.
Those Groundhogs are everywhere, they even live in Switzerland. The name might be different and we do not dedicate a day to this animal, but they influence our daily life from the beginning to the end.
They need no day, they just exist. I can hear mummy groundhog thinking “time for a sleep” being glad that she can just relax for a whole season without having to do her groundhoggy chores, bearing children, feeding them, looking after them. Daddy groundhog is also glad that he doesn’t have the moaning and gossipy voice of the wife in his ears for a whole season. He does not have to go on a food hunt and find a mate until it is time to wake up. If he wakes up early enough he might catch a partner still half asleep and defenceless to his approaches. And so the groundhog cycle of life begins again.
I did not even find the film a comedy. It was just repetition all the time, and that is boring.
Repetitive Exercise: Click through Pingbacks
- Three Dogs | We Live In A Flat
- Daily Prompt: Repetition | Books, Music, Photography & Movies : my best friends
- Who are you to decide? God? | Phelio a Random Post a Day
- Daily Prompt: Groundhog Day | Under the Monkey Tree
- Daily Prompt: Groundhog Day « Mama Bear Musings
- Repetition | The Ambitious Drifter
- “Groundhog Day” | Relax
- Daily Prompt: Repetition « Vicariously Poetic
- No Shadow To Be Seen | Tony’s Texts
- Daily Prompt: Groundhog Day | littlegirlstory
- you only get one day, and one night | Maggie’s Stories
- Resolve, Repeat | a former clarity
- Hello, I’m being. | Upstairs Productions
- The Roads Not Traveled | Kingdom of Sharks
- Repetition | Cofundrum
- There Are No Do-Overs | The Jittery Goat
- Daily Prompt:Groundhog Day | Motherhood and Beyond
- Saturday Centus 176 Meets the Daily Prompt: Rewind | One Starving Activist
- Moving on. | ayimas
- Daily Prompt: Groundhog Day | I really just pretend to know stuff
- Daily Prompt: Groundhog Day | reyoflight
- Tock, Tick Tock | Brianne Writes
- Groundhog Day ((Daily Prompt)) | ♡ sarah ♡
- Quote: Repetition Enhances Precision | Wise Counsel
- Daily Prompt: Groundhog Day | Alastair’s Blog
- Repetition | Her Broken Nibs
- A Flawless Miracle | Daily Observations
- “The end” | Life is great
- Daily Prompt: Groundhog Day | The Road to Published
- Try Repetition | Wise Counsel
- Daily Prompt: Groundhog Day | Heron There & Everywhere
- Daily Prompt: Groundhog Day | BulgingButtons
- daily post – groundhog day | pork juice & paper towels
- What if I could get it right? | Okay, what if ?
- First, I’m Gonna Take Your Stick : Groundhog Day | thanks for letting me autograph your cat
- If I could change one thing… | Life & Times
- Daily Post: Two Bridge View | Slam on the Brakes, Pull Over, Take the Picture
- The Card | Everyday Adventures
- Daily Prompt: Do over and over and over? | SERENDIPITY
- Daily Prompt: Groundhog Day | Alice’s Adventures in Reality
- Don’t talk to me about Groundhog Day. « RPMAS
- And so she walked out of my life forever. | On Gorgeousness
- Daily Prompt; Groundhog Day | terry1954
- Daily Prompt: Groundhog Day | Basically Beyond Basic
- Daily Prompt: I Got You, Babe! | cinnwriterblog
- Groundhog Day | The Nameless One
- Learning through repetition. | A Girl with a Piano
- Farnsworth Says: Introduction and Repetition | azevedo’s reviews
- Driven: Groundhog Day – Daily Prompt | alienorajt
- My Groundhog Day | Resident Alien — Being Dutch in America
- Daily Prompt: Groundhog Day | Not The Sword But The Pen
- …and Just Like That, Love is Gone | My Beautiful Breakdown
- Why Are You Special?||If I Could Repeat A Day… | Mind My Mind But…
- Just Us Now | The Novice Gardener
- S. Thomas Summers | The Importance of a Toy Box
- Daily Prompt: Groundhog Day | Chicomallorca’s Blog
- Ned Ryerson . . . BING! | meanderedwanderings
- Seen that. . . really? | marsowords
- Repetition’s Variation | See Diving
- Practice Makes Perfect? | Bright Tuesday
- Personal Challenge: Writing a Novel! | Polyprotic Amory
- Dwelling in a Garden of Rotting Vegetables (Daily Prompt: Groundhog Day) | Running with Reality
- Daily Prompt: Groundhog Day | My Atheist Blog
- Pinay New Yorker | Daily Prompt: Getting life right
- Daily Prompt:Groundhog Day | Danny James
- Daily Prompt: Groundhog Day | The Land Slide Photography
- The Day Forever Changed | Wiley’s Wisdom
- I’m No Perfectionist | djgarcia94
- Do Over | loveletterstoaghost
- WordPress Daily Prompt: Repetition. | Each Peach Pear Plum
- Believe, Do, Repeat | genusrosa