Are writing prompts a useful exercise, or do you find them to be too limiting and/or hokey?
Photographers, artists, poets: show us SNEAKY.
By reputation snakes are sneaky. Luckily I was separated by glass from this one at an exhibition in the nearby town of Biel/Bienne – see my reflection with the camera in the background?
It was a long odyssey I took upon myself before I arrived in the Elysium fields of WordPress. Yahoo 350 collapsed, Multiply went to the traders and eventually collapsed and via Blogger (which is a sort of solo act with a few spectators few and far between) I found my place in WordPress. I had actually been in WordPress for some time, just using it as a backup for my stories and poems in case something would happen. Something did happen and so I had my foot on the Blogger and the WordPress banks of the river. This exercise became tiring on my legs. Eternal splits was not my thing and then I discovered Daily Prompts. Some magical signal struck me from the computer terminal, a finger reached out and penetrated my brain, or perhaps it was just by chance that the words “Daily Prompt” were illuminated on my computer.
Actually I just happened to see it at the right time being in the right place. With my usual motto in life, you have nothing to lose; I did my first daily prompt and discovered I was not alone on my journey. There were others, lost blogging souls that had arrived at the haven of prompt, not only prompt now and again but daily. My intention was perhaps not to do it daily, but being a golden oldie, and not having anything better to do with a lost hour in the afternoon, I arrived. I soon realised I was not the only wandering deity in this world of blog. I have even got to know some other bloggers, through their masterpieces of writing. We all have a different view on the topic, but that makes life interesting. I do try to read other daily blogging prompts, time permitting.
Even my felines look forward each day to the appearance of the daily prompt on their pawpads, hoping that Mrs. Human will give them a chance to unfold their views on the human race, or bring the world of feline closer to all of us. This eventually lead to the result that I was forced at pawpoint to create a WordPress Site for my felines, although unfortunately it has been somewhat neglected. My felines prefer to play where the action is, on my blog. Now and again I sneak a copy over to the feline blog for their faithful followers.
As far as being a useful exercise is concerned, I say a big YES. Living 46 years in a country where I speak Swiss German all day, and very rarely English, I have discovered the chance to renew and deepen my knowledge of my maternal language. To be honest, now and again I look for the English meaning of the German word to complete my prize suspect blogs. Another help is auntie Internet with her supply of synonyms and antonyms, to ensure a versatile choice of words (here I am divulging the secrets of my daily prompts).
As far as being limited is concerned, I do my own thing most of the time but the prompt is there as a guide line an anchor when the seas of blog get choppy. Whether they are “hokey” or not, I am not sure, not knowing this word. The Free Dictionary on Internet tells me it means, corny, sentimental, contrived, phoney. This has complicated the problem, so I say make your own mind up about hokey. I do not feel hokey about anything here.
And now to psychologically prepare myself for the next Daily Prompt. It is twenty-four hours away, but time passes quickly when you are a golden oldie and you never know, it might be your last daily prompt. I can see the grave inscription now “She is no longer amongst us, but her Daily Prompts are still present” or something in that line of things.
Some Sneaky Pingbacks
- Sneaky Questions Require Sneaky Answers | Eyes Through The Glass – A Blog About Asperger’s
- Daily Prompt: | Under the Monkey Tree
- Daily Prompt: Sneaky | Books, Music, Photography & Movies : my best friends
- Daily Prompt – A Little Sneaky | Kate Murray
- Thoughts on Blogging | We Live In A Flat
- You Prompt Me [Daily Prompt: A Little Sneaky] | unknowinglee
- Daily Prompts; Aren’t Perfect, That’s The Bloggers Job | The Jittery Goat
- To prompt or not to prompt, that is the question… | The Rider
- Clowns To The Left of Me, Jokers To The Right | JuSt ViSiTiNG THiS PLaNeT…
- A Little Sneaky | Geek Ergo Sum
- Daily Prompt: A Little Sneaky « Mama Bear Musings
- Daily Prompt: A Little Sneaky | Motherhood and Beyond
- An honest answer from randomness | Phelio a Random Post a Day
- Sneaky | A mom’s blog
- Nothing wrong with a little nudge in the right direction | thoughtsofrkh
- Just a spoonful of prompting can make the writers pen note down, in the most delightful way! | The life of T
- sneaky is as sneaky does | wannabepoet
- On Prompts & Writing | The Temenos Journal
- Rolf Harris: maybe he was tying down more that just his kangaroo | DCMontreal
- Sneaky: A Prompt About Prompts | suzie81’s Blog
- A Little Sneaky | Shilpa Sharma Online
- Sneaky | Hope* the happy hugger
- Those Hokey Writing Prompts And Why I Need Them | Bright Tuesday
- Daily Prompt – A Little Sneaky | Joe’s Musings
- Daily Prompt: A Little Sneaky | Of Glass & Paper
- Daily Prompt: A Little Sneaky | The Daily Post | The Blogging Path
- Daily Prompt: A little sneaky but more than a bit odd | SERENDIPITY
- “A Little Sneaky” | Relax
- Daily Prompt: A Little Sneaky | College Girl Dai
- Sleepers, for me, always WAY more fun than flashy or fancy. | Lord Aoshi’s Latest Finds
- Delicate Revenge | shame
- A Little Sneaky | The Nameless One
- How about them Daily Prompts! | Everyday Adventures
- Daily YouTube Find-30/8/13| Football Skills | The Educated Illiterates
- Daily Prompt: A Useful Creative Writing Tool | The Silver Leaf Journal
- Get Your Sneak On! | An Upturned Soul
- Sneaky Is as Sneaky Does…(wp daily prompt) | Daily Observations
- A Little Sneaky | Flowers and Breezes
- The exception | Life is great
- Daily Prompt: To write or not to write, right? | My Atheist Blog
- Sneaky? (The Room of Requirement) – exlibrismachina
- Warm and Fuzzies | sayanything
- Daily Prompt: A Little Sneaky | Far from Done
- Daily Prompt – A Little Sneaky | incoherent muses
- Daily Prompt: I’ll Show You Sneaky | Sogna Grandezza
- I’m Still a Good Person Even Though I Don’t Believe in (Your) God | momasteblog
- The Value of Daily Prompts | Real Life Co.
- Day 23. A Sneak Peek. | Forlorn Hope: A Diary Of A Broken Heart
- Daily Prompt: SNEAKY SENTINELS | Phoenix Flights
- I love them as a whole | djgarcia94
- How do I really feel about writing prompts? | Rob’s Surf Report
- Lone Starlet – Alhambra, Granada, Spain | alternative.reality
- new to the party and wearing my best ambivalence | genusrosa
- Prolific prompts. | A Girl with a Piano
- Daily Writing Prompt – Sneaky? | The Laughing Nanny
- A little sneaky but more of a bushwhack « RPMAS
- Prompt Inception : A Little Sneaky | thanks for letting me autograph your cat
- Daily Prompt: A Little Sneaky | To Breathe is to Write
- Daily Prompt: Let’s Get Brainical | One Starving Activist
- Daily Prompt: A Little Sneaky » My Life, My Way, My Words
- The sky’s the limit | Life & Times
- Daily Prompt: A Little Sneaky | ModrenHippieMom
- Daily Prompt: A Little Sneaky | cognitive reflection
- Patrick Stewart Like You Have Never Seen Him Before. | Forlorn Hope: A Diary Of A Broken Heart
- Three Good Reasons to Participate in the “Daily Prompt” | Cheri Speak
- Groundhog Day, in August | The Novice Gardener
- A Prompt About Prompts | Along Life’s Road
- Kind of Useful | Kind of a Bum
- What if I was prompted? | Okay, what if ?
- Write on Time, Always Prompt | My [redacted] Journey